Sunday, February 6, 2011

Tater's Play Kitchen

I meant to post this around Christmas time, but I wanted to wait until the kitchen was "finished." Well, I still don't think it is finished, but I figured I should post it before a year or two passes by haha.



This was my daughter's (Taylor) Christmas gift from mom and dad. I say that my husband AND I built it, but truly my husband did pretty much all of it. I provided the idea, online inspiration from other play kitchens and a few other things we will get to later. 




Back to the building part; my husband built the play kitchen out of scrap particle board that we already had. He also used some scraps of Corian countertop for the play kitchen countertop. That little box looking thing on the left corner of the countertop was going to be the sink, but we later decided we didn't like it so we changed it.


Instead of the wooded box for the sink, we found a bowl from our kitchen that would work. It just so happened to have a rolled edge so it worked out really nice. Brandon cut a hole in the Corian, caulked around the hole, pushed the bowl in and then sat some heavy books on top to keep it down while the caulking dried.

The faucet was made by my husband also. He used 1/2" Copper piping. From there i'm not really sure what he did to be honest, he brought it home pretty much all put together. I wasn't a fan of the copper (it didn't really match the color scheme and I just don't like copper,) so he spray painted the pipes the same silver color as the burners.

Now for my little contribution (yay.) I picked up some wooden birch tread wheels from Hobby Lobby and painted them black. I also bought some wooden coasters from Hobby Lobby and painted them silver. Then I handed them over to my husband and told him I wanted the wheels to be the knobs and the coasters to be the burners. The burners and knobs are all screwed in (the burners are screwed in from underneath.)

Do you like the "wallpaper?" Thank you, one of my little contributions haha. I Mod Podged the paper to the wood. Then I coated over the paper a few times with Mod Podge to give it a nice finish.


I love how shiny the burners turned out.


Oh and the salt and Pepper shakers; I bought some wooden spools from hobby lobby and used the birch tread wheels and used them to make the shakers. I got the idea from Nap Time Journal. You can see here tutorial HERE. I did change it up a bit though. I Mod Podged on some scrapbook paper. Then I coated over the scrapbook paper with more Mod Podge. After that dried I Mod Podged the S and P on. Once that dried I put on one last coat of Mod Podge.

Here is a picture with the bottom doors open. The play food on the bottom right is from Ross. The pizza party is from Kohls. In the upper right is an old box of wipes repurposed to be the dish holder. Bottom left are a few hot pot holders. This is part of the reason why I say the kitchen isn't finished. I would like to have a few hooks on the side of the kitchen to hang these from. Oh and do you see the towel rack on the left door, I really wanted to make a cute hand towel for that. I'm also thinking maybe a magnet board for the side? We will see. Don't worry I will update you with changes :)

I'm linking up to:
Keeping it Simple: Motivate Me Monday
The Girl Creative: Just Something I Whipped Up
Between Naps on the Porch: Metamorphosis Monday
Today's Creative Blog: Get Your Craft On
Tip Junkie: Tip Me Tuesday
Hope Studios: Tutorial Tuesday
Someday Crafts: Whatever Goes Wednesday
Lil' Luna: All Things Good: Link PARTAY #12
The Thrifty Home: Penny Pinching Party
So Much Ado: We Did It Wednesday
733: Sugar and Spice
Domestically Speaking: Power of Paint Party
Blue Cricket Design: link party
The Shabby Chic Cottage: Transformation Thursday
Fingerprints on the Fridge: Feature Yourself Friday
Sassy Sites: It's Friday
It's a Hodgepodge Life: It's a Hodgepodge Friday
Kojo Designs: Friday Fun Finds
Tatertots and Jello: Weekend Wrap up Party
Craft Envy: Saturday Spotlight
Be Different Act Normal: Saturday Show and Tell
Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. That Taylor is one lucky girl to have such creative and talented parents. It is totally adorable. I love all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a lucky kid! looks like a lot of work but a great result! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky,
    Thank you for the nice comment on my blog. I came to check your blog out, too. I love discovering new blogs. I love yours. You have some very creative ideas. I am going to become a follower, maybe you can become one of my blog?
    That Kitchen is so adorable, much cuter than those high priced plastic ones that aren't nearly as realistic looking.

    Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Becky! That is the cutest play kitchen ever! You guys did a great job. I'll bet Taylor loves it. I'm your linky neighbor at BNOP and your newest follower. I hope you'll come by Cottage and Creek and follow me too.
    Thanks for sharing your fun project!
    ~Lynn
    www.cottageandcreek.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I love play kitchens, they are one of my favorite kid toys. You did a wonderful job! Love the wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Becky,

    This play kitchen is fantastic..it's nicer than my REAL kitchen! :o) Love the attention to detail...such cuteness! What a lasting treasure for your daughter!

    Blessings,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute, I've been working on one for my kids, need to get it finished! domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so nice! Thank you for your sweet comment. I am new to this world of blogging but I am having so much fun!!
    I absolutely LOVE the kitchen. Just wish I would have more a of a handyman husband...he is so NOT! Which means I will have to embark in this adventure alone...of building little cute things like that.
    Check out my love sacks!
    www.unbailefor5.blogspot.com
    Great to be blogging buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh WOW,,, no way,,, she is the luckiest little darling ever. How cool is that kitchen, and that you guys made it all by yourselves, HELLO, that is just too cool.

    You know what to do girl, come link up :)
    Bella Before and After **AMAZE ME AUGUST**
    Hugs,
    Bella :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...