Thursday, February 17, 2011

Refurbished Diaper Box for Diaper Storage

This is what I have been using to store Taylor's Diapers in (my husband's idea.) He cut the huggies box so that we could keep the diapers neat and easily accessible.
I thought using the box was pretty genious and ghetto all at the same time. It is being stored in the cabinet part of my daughter's dresser so no one sees it anyway so I wasn't too concerned about the ghetto-ness.

I have been wanting to supe this box up forever, but couldn't ever decide what I wanted to do. I went back and forth about Mod Podging scrapbook paper to it or using fabric. I finally decided that I would use fabric.



I am pretty excited about how it turned out.


First I took my scrap piece of fabric and wrapped it around the box.


Next, I created pleats in the fabric.


I used duct tape to temporarily secure the fabric so the pleats would stay neat.

Then I hot glued the fabric to the cardboard box. I glued the fabric the way that it was draped above because for the inside of the box I used Zebra Faux Fur. The fabric is so thick that it does not show the wrinkles from having the black fabric underneath.


What is pictured is basically scraps I had left over from making a blanket for my daughter. I had to improvise with what I had to make it work. What would be best (obviously) would be to measure the insides of the box to determine how much fabric is needed and cut accordingly.


I took my first piece of Zebra fabric, rolled the edge over to create a hem and hot glued it down. Then I took 1 1/2" tall strips of tulle, bunched them up across the hem and hot glued them down.


This piece of fabric is being used for the side of the box by the way. I continued to glue the tulle all the way across the scrap piece of fabric.


Then I hot glued the zebra fabric across the side of the box. That says "too short" above in red if it is too small to read. Obviously you want the fabric to reach the bottom of the box. Since I was improvising with scraps that didn't happen.
Continue this process to all sides except the front (unless you want tulle across the front.)

Thank heaven this zebra fabric is very forgiving of mistakes. Since I had to use scraps I decided to bunch of the fabric in certain areas. The upper left hand corner gave me a little trouble. Therefore a pretty flower was inserted :). You can find the tutorial for the flower HERE.
When I got to this point I started to think this would be pretty cute as a little bed for a small animal. Just throw in some stuffing and your there. haha


Lastly, I added some rosettes to the front and put in the diapers.


Now instead of a little hidden ghetto-ness, I have a little hidden treasure. :)

I am linking up to THESE PARTIES.






Photobucket

32 comments:

  1. This is just too stinkin' cute and clever! Even your use of duct tape and hot glue plus the tulle trim...LOL! Been there, done that! I LOVE the way this came out, so stylish and striking! And looking at it on that closet shelf you would never know what "design adjustments" you made on this project. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is uber adorable...of course I have thing for zebra print:-) Thank you for stopping by my blog so that I could find yours...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously???? I go through several of those boxes of diapers and deep inside I always knew there had to be something I could do with them besides recycling them...Thank you for the idea! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is what happens when two creative minds come together, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's perfect! Love the fabric. Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I love how the zebra print looks! I've got 2 in diapers so we have our fair share of boxes!
    erica @ http://bisforboycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. Thank you so much for sharing! I am your newest follower and I would be honored if you would link up your super cute blog over on my blog stalkin' page.

    http://alaynahoward.blogspot.com/p/blog-stalkin.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is Awesome! It looks so fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. I just did a post about all of the great things your can do with cardboard boxes. I'm your newest follower from frugal Friday's link party. I'm throwing my very first link party tomorrow (Monday). I would love it if you stopped by an added your project.
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool idea. Love the use of what you already have. Come link up sometime at Ninth Street Notions sometime if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a creative idea! I can't believe you made that out of a diaper box! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are soooo smart and uber creative!
    xoxo
    Robin
    All Things Heart and Home

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for joining the More The Merrier Monday Linky Party. Be sure to come back next week. I look forward to seeing more of your projects.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your blog! I'd love for you to link your projects up here:
    http://singingthreelittlebirds.blogspot.com/2011/02/inspire-me-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is seriously too awesome!! Gonna attempt to make this for a babyshower gift! LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so cute! I love seeing all the neat things that people create out of boxes! I would love for you to share this on my Organizing Mission Monday link party!! Hope to see you there! That little furry edge is just too cute.
    Oh... found you from Keeping it Simple
    http://www.organizewithsandy.com/2011/02/21/organizing-mission-monday-week-10/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super great idea! Very cute, thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is totally awesome Becky!!! Saw it on Craftomaniac, and had to come see the talent behind this wonder. I LOVE the fabric you choose, and all that fabulous detail. It really makes it look like you payed serious money for it. WOW....

    Come link up to my party too, I would LOVE to have you, and you might just be FEATURED next week, and find yourself a spot on my sidebar FEATURED section for a whole week!!!

    Bella Before and After **AMAZE ME AUGUST**, and GUESS what? I have a fabulous giveaway going on this week too for the cutest ZEBRA print APRON, and TOWEL SET. Come enter before it's too late. GIVEAWAY HERE

    I am your newest follower, and look forward to seeing more of your fantastic projects.

    Hugs,
    Bella :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a seriously glammed up box of diapers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. No way!! How incredibly creative! Can you come to my house!! Very chic diaper storage!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE this!!! I'm a new follower. :)

    xxoo,
    Liberty

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE this,so much I'm sharing it on my blog.

    I'd also like to invite you to share your goodies on my linky party held every Friday. You'll find me here:
    www.wmcraftgoodies.blogspot.com

    Thanks for sharing-
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  23. THis is awesome! What a great way to reuse all of those diaper boxes! Hope you will share with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/02/pink-hippo-party-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. So,So cute!!! But I don't think that I could make it:( I'm blog hopping and found your blog. I'm following. Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So So Cute! If my babes were still babes I would totally do one of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, Becky! thanks for linking up last week! we are featuring your project here: http://tosewwithlove.blogspot.com/2011/02/crafty-saturday-link-up-party-no-9.html

    hope to see you again this week! have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Becky, I guess you already saw that I featured you, he he. Sorry, I didn't get a chance the other day to leave everyone a comment letting them know.

    I love the fact that you found out anyway, just goes to show that you came back to check out my blog again, which I totally appreciate.

    Thanks for linking up to Bella Before and After **AMAZE ME AUGUST** party, I LOVE having you.

    Hugs,

    Bella :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is such a cute idea!!!
    Come and link up your idea at our What I Made Wednesday Linky Party!

    Alisa
    Sweet Peas and Bumblebees
    sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...